In the center of the city and with the axis 9 de Julio as its axis, the San Nicolás neighborhood is little known by the Buenos Aires people as this name, since everyone simply calls it “the center”. Here we will find the famous Teatro Colón, the courthouse, the National Congress and the maximum icon of the city: its obelisk. This construction is located in the Republic Square, at the intersection of Corrientes and 9 de Julio avenues. Corrientes Avenue is also famous for its theaters, bookstores and pizzerias, which are a representation of what most of the people of Buenos Aires like.
To the north of the microcentro neighborhood and south of Recoleta.
Metro: Line B (Carlos Pellegrini) Line C (Diagonal Norte) Line D (9 de julio)
Bus Lines: 5, 6, 7, 9, 17, 23, 24, 26, 29, 39, 50, 59, 67, 70, 75, 98, 100, 102, 106, 109, 111, 115, 132, 142, 146, y 155.
Known as “the street that never sleeps”, this avenue that crosses July 9 on the axis of the obelisk, is characterized by its large number of theaters, cinemas, pizzerias and bookstores, a good combination of Buenos Aires.
During the weekends several blocks from this avenue become a semi-pedestrian street, where theater goers walk along this street, in search of a pizza at the court or look for a book in the bookshelves of bookstores that They open until late at night.
This iconic avenue runs about 3 kilometers north to south, parallel to the coast of the Río de la Plata. It bears his name in honor of the day of the declaration of independence of the country, made on July 9, 1816. This avenue is the pride of the people of Buenos Aires to name it as the widest in the world, something that can be seen in 140 meters wide.
On July 9 there are actually 3 streets in one, since Carlos Pellegrini (Bernardo de Irigoyen south of Rivadavia) and Cerrito (Lima south of Rivadavia) run on its two sides. It was construction began in 1936 and continued slowly until 1980, since a complete block was needed to be demolished in each street where the avenue was advancing. Only two buildings were saved from this demolition, the French embassy to the north and the Public Works Ministry building, located to the south, in the middle of the avenue and which decided to be preserved since it had been inaugurated a few years earlier.
Located in the same place where the Argentine flag was hoisted for the first time in Buenos Aires in 1812. This concrete mass of 67.5 meters high, eventually became the main icon of the Argentine capital and the country in the world. It was built next to its roundabout in 1936, as the beginning of the works on Avenida 9 de Julio, and although in the first years it was somewhat controversial, and even thought of demolishing, little by little it was falling in love with the Buenos Aires. Today it is the meeting place of the Argentines at the time of celebration and whenever there is an important celebration, such as a sports championship, thousands of people gather at their feet.