School ship and ambassador of the Argentine Republic in the world for almost half a century, this beautiful three-stick frigate, today rests as a museum ship in the docks of Puerto Madero. Next to the Uruguay corvette, this frigate is one of the two museum ships that can be visited in Buenos Aires.
The Sarmiento frigate is a floating museum, where you can visit different rooms and spaces such as the dining room, the engine room, the cabins, the deck and different rooms. Where we will relive the history of the boat and its fascinating 39 trips around the world. In addition, the Sarmiento Frigate represented Argentina in numerous protocol events, such as the coronation of Edward VII of the United Kingdom, in 1902; the celebrations of the Centenary of the Independence of Mexico, in 1910; the opening of the Panama Canal, in 1914; and the inauguration of the statue of General Saint Martin in Boulogne Sur Mer, France, in 1909.
Inside we will see was the lifestyle that led their crew, their comforts and even their engine room. In addition, several striking objects are exhibited inside, such as a stone that belonged to the Great Wall of China, the embalmed body of a Newfoundland dog puppy, the mascot of the frigate and an Argentine flag made in Shanghai, whose sun was embroidered with Torn eyes To enter the museum you only have to pay a bonus of $ 20 Ars.
The Corvette Uruguay, is the oldest ship afloat of the Argentine Navy, with more than 130 years since its official incorporation in September 1874. This boat intervened in revolutions, rescue, expeditions, and was even the floating headquarters of the Naval School, its most outstanding action was carried out between 1901 and 1903 when under the command of Admiral Julián Irizar rescued the Swedish expedition led by Otto Nordenskjöld, whose ship, the “Antartic” had been shipwrecked in the ice of Antarctica.
This ship was built in Birkenhead, England, being the first iron and steam ships acquired by Argentina. In 1877, it was a ship-school, crossing the southern coasts and reaffirming Argentine sovereignty. From it the first promotion of the Naval School graduated and, in 1880, ceased to be a school ship, serving as transportation and support for scientific commissions.
He was retired from service in 1926, to become a floating powder magazine. Then in 1954 it was rebuilt in its entirety and then converted into a floating museum, which is moored in Puerto Madero, at dike No. 4.